Friday 7 October 2011

The Best Music Video You'll Ever See

I'd been a fan, to say the least, of Johnny Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nails' Hurt for long time, but only recently did I watch the music video for it. I don't usually go for music videos since I often multitask when I listen to music, but I'd heard that the video for this song was particularly good so I checked it out. Here it is:





It's a beautiful piece. The emotion of the song is captured so accurately in the video with the image of the ageing Cash bringing tears to the eye. The video's full of imagery as well. For example the small house in the middle of nowhere as well as the closing of the piano at the end which seems to represent the idea that the song is Cash's final work, his epitaph.

Trent Reznor (of Nine Inch Nails, How to Destroy Angels, and other projects) who wrote and performed the original says of Cash's version:

"I pop the video in, and wow. Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps...Wow. I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore..."

It's a truly masterful piece, which isn't surprising considering it was written and performed by two of the most talented musicians of all time. It's a desert island disc for sure. I'll always hold this one close to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment