Saturday 9 October 2010

Notable Artists... IV

Right, here we go with another helping of Notable Artists. Tonight's choice? Jeff Buckley. He's pretty famous; doubtless many of you will have heard his cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, it's one of the most famous covers of that song in existence. Jeff Buckley was a singer-songwriter born in 1966. He produced one full and one unfinished studio album before his tragic death in 1997.

His first and only completed album, Grace, is a masterpiece in my opinion. Buckley's vocals and guitar playing are superb and combine to create a thoroughly mesmerising and emotional album. As I already mentioned, the album contains Buckley's cover of Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen, which is probably the song that Jeff Buckley is most famous for, but there are many other great tracks. One of my favourites is Grace, the track of the same name of the album. The balance of the various parts is exquisite, all joining together to create an entirely profound effect. Other tracks worth listening to are: Last Goodbye, So Real, and in fact the rest of the album.

There are a couple of live albums out there as well; one of which is entitled Mystery White Boy, which is the one I have. It's pretty good, definitely worth a listen after you've checked out Grace. The unfinished album is entitled Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk; I admit I don't know much about this. I've got it but haven't listened to it extensively. From what I've listened to it's got some good things on it.

Well that concludes today's foray into the mismatched world of my music taste. Feel free to comment on this or anything. Do check out Jeff Buckley's music if you get a chance, it's really powerful stuff. Anyway that's all for now.

Cheers,

big_friendly_letters.

1 comment:

  1. Great voice, in which I found what Cohen was writing. His death was so ... well, those who die young live longer. Thanks for sharing this.

    Best wishes
    Ralf

    ReplyDelete