Friday 14 May 2010

The joy of discovering new music

As you may know, it is a truly delightful feeling when you listen to a band you haven't heard before and find out they're awesome. This feeling is particularly pronounced when the band is not known by anybody you know and/or they aren't a famous band. I know this, and from time to time, I browse the net for new and interesting bands, or sometimes I just find something by chance. Not every band I find is good, but there is often one or two that stand out every time I look. The process of searching can often be time consuming, as I often search for bands that offer an album or two for free. But although long, and sometimes unsuccessful, it is a great feeling when you find that band with a great, and often original sound. Anyway, I thought I'd share with you a couple of the bands that I found using the above methods.

The Fifth Ocean

This was the first band that I really liked that I found using these methods as I remember. I was browsing a collection of metal and heavy rock bands that someone had posted in a list, saying they all had free music. This band caught my eye, because in fact their name was written in Russian. Anyway I saw their album, and listened to it. From the start I really liked it, my favourite song being the first track on the album. I listen to it now and again, all in all it's a pretty good album, and the fact that they sing mostly in Russian makes the songs interesting due to their difference from most of the stuff I usually listen to.

Fireland

I actually only discovered this band yesterday, that's what prompted me to write this blog entry. I found this band on Classic Rock Magazines Track of the Day pages, so most of the effort of finding this band should be attributed to them. So I listened to them and liked them a lot. Their guitar riffs were good, standard heavy metal technique but with something else. The lead guitar, especially in the solos was brilliant, and that is one of the reasons I liked them so much. The melody seems to complement the rhythm section very well. All together a great EP, and I'll try pick up one of their albums next time I visit a music store.

Well that's all for now. I hope you enjoyed this account of my musical findings. As always feel free to comment.

Thanks,

big_friendly_letters

No comments:

Post a Comment