Sunday 29 August 2010

Songs I've been addicted to... I

Pretty much everybody gets addicted to songs, it's the way it is. I am not exempt from this. I think it's an interesting distinction to make between a song that gets stuck in your head, and one that you listen to all the time. I propose that there is a difference, although there can be some crossover.

I'll elaborate. So on the one hand a song can get stuck in your head. This can be because you recently heard it, and it's catchy or maybe you just remembered it. The thing with this is, the song might stay in your head even if you don't listen to it, and you don't have to like the song for it to stay there. In my experience it's often the songs I hate that stay on replay in my head the longest. On the other hand you can have a song that you like so much that you feel that you want to play it again and again, so it stays in your head, but the difference is you want to play it again and again. So it seems that the latter is the more positive one. All this is probably pretty obvious, but I thought I'd have a ramble about my musings before I start listing tracks that I've been addicted to in the past, after all, this is a malfunctioning guide to the world of music. I did warn you, it says so in the title.

So, songs I've been addicted to. This probably won't be in chronological order, but I'll list try and put the most recent songs last.

Rip Out The Wings Of A Butterfly- H.I.M
I listened to this a lot, and I mean a lot. I can't listen to it any more, in fact there are a fair few of this band's songs that I either can't listen to at all, or have to limit the amount of plays, simply because they got overplayed. One day I'll be able to listen to all of their songs again. I can still listen to their latest album yet, that hasn't been overplayed yet. I reckon in about a year's time I'll be able to listen to this track again. I recommend you listen to it though, it has one of the most iconic and memorable guitar lines I have ever heard. On playing the song it will be immediately apparent why I became addicted to it.

Fear Of The Dark, The Clansman, Aces High, Powerslave, and many more- Iron Maiden
I have been addicted to many Iron Maiden songs over the time I've been listening to them, I won't go into detail but I thought I'd list a few of the songs I've been addicted to.

Within A Mile Of Home- Flogging Molly
This is a great song, and the great thing is I'm not sick of it. I'm not sure I ever will be. Sure I don't listen to it as much as I used to, but I still love it. I imagine it's great live, and it sounds it from the live recordings I've listen to. I have yet to see this band, as they haven't been to the UK in a while. When they next play in the UK I will try very hard to get to see them. They are at present (and have been for a while) my second favourite band.

I Hear The Bells- Mike Doughty
This is probably the most recent song addiction of mine. When I first heard it I didn't know the song title or artist, so I looked up some of the lyrics I remembered and found out what it was. Since then I've listened to it a lot. It's a great track, I particularly like the chorus, although there is one bit of the song which occurs twice or so in the the whole track that I wasn't keen on. Although now I'm beginning to warm to it. But as a whole track it is very good. Check it out, but be warned, it's addictive.

So there you have it, a few of the songs I've been addicted to. I didn't list them all, because that would have taken ages and I would have inevitably forgotten a fair few. Why not comment and tell me a few of the songs you've been addicted to. If you have read this, or any of my other entries, you have my thanks, and my apologies.

Thanks,

big_friendly_letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment