Sunday 12 September 2010

Songs from TV Shows... I

Before I start I will just clarify the title. This blog entry is not about TV show theme tunes, it's about songs featured within TV shows. For being featured in a big hit TV show can give instant fame to a band, because all the people who like the song on the show will then go and hit the "search" button on whatever search engine they use to find out what the song is. So I thought that I'd share a couple of tracks that I've heard on TV shows that I quite like.

The first song I'll mention, is I Hear The Bells by Mike Doughty, I won't elaborate on this too much because I've already mentioned it in the previous entry. Anyway, I first heard it when I caught an episode of Grey's Anatomy, but I didn't really pick up on the song at that time. I happened to see the same episode a while later and heard the song, and instantly it was in my head. I found out the name of it not too long later.

Another song, in fact I heard this song first out of the three I believe, is Dreaming of You by The Coral. It featured in an episode of Scrubs and like I hear the Bells it was only when I saw the episode for a second time that I searched the track afterwards. It's a great song, I have the album that it's from; their self titled debut album The Coral. It's a very addictive song in my opinion (in hindsight it could well have been included in the previous entry about songs that I've been addicted to, but what can you do?), and it has some great lyrics. An example of a really clever line from the song and probably my favourite is:

"When I'm down and my hands are tied,
I cannot reach a pen for me to draw the line."

So it's a great song with some great lyrics, really worth a listen, although it may not be to everybody's taste, but that's the same with every song ever written, there will always be somebody that doesn't like it.

The final track I'll mention in this post is Now We Can See by The Thermals. I only recently searched this track despite having seen the episode it was on many times. The TV show it was on is one of my favourites, so I've seen the episode a fair few times. Anyway, it has a really addictive intro, but I still haven't decided how much I like the song, it may be a while before I know how much I like the track as a whole, but it's interesting anyway. If you're interested the TV show I saw it on was Chuck.

Well that's just about it for now, I'll be back soon with a review of Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly's new album (I pre-ordered it today, it's out tomorrow), and I have another blog entry planned for a review of the new Skunk Anansie album. There'll be other stuff but I'm not entirely sure what yet. Anyway, take care, and feel free to comment as usual.

Thanks,

big_friendly_letters

No comments:

Post a Comment