Tuesday 14 September 2010

Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly (Album): Review

You may remember I wrote an entry about albums that I was looking forward to, well now I have one of them, it came in the post today. The album in question is Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly's self titled album, his third album to date. The first two: Chronicles of a Bohemian Teenager and Searching for the Hows and Whys are very good, although my favourite of the two is his first album, Chronicles of a Bohemian Teenager. Anyway, I've been of fan of his (Sam Duckworth's) music for a few years now, and have seen him live once. So there's the background, onto the album.

The opening track is called Hand Me Downs, and it's perhaps my favourite track of the album. The song is very similar to a lot of the tracks from the first album, predominantly using an acoustic guitar and vocals and little else. This has turned out to be a great formula for Get Cape's tracks, the absence of too many other parts allows the listener to concentrate on the lyrics more.

Collapsing Cities is the second track of the album. It starts with a nice acoustic guitar line, soon to be joined by an electronic section comprising of (as far as I can tell): drums, bass, and trombone. The combination, while it may sound unusual, works well, I particularly like the use of trombones, they were used on tracks from his earlier work and they fit really well in my opinion. Overall it's a good track.

The third song; Nightlife, starts with an electronic feel, and this continues throughout the song. There's a really nice melody comprised from a xylophone and a trumpet which works really well.

All Of This Is Yours is the fourth track, and it features Baaba Maal. It has a cultural feel, especially in the intro. The song contains an interesting electric guitar line that has hints of funk music in my opinion. There's a trumpet line that's utterly brilliant, quite simple, but it works very well. It's quite a varied song, but this seems to be a good thing.

The next track; Queen for a Day has a indie/punk/rock feel to it, and has a faster pace than some of the other songs on the album. The lyrics to this song are nice, and are interspersed with instrumental fills. A good track.

The sixth track is All Falls Down starts with a few great lyrics (not that the rest aren't good, I just liked these in particular): "You, you only reap what you sow. Stick to the things that you know." It's a pretty solid track.

The next track is called Where Will You Stand?. It starts with a symphonic feel, and this continues throughout the song. The electronic elements added in this track fit in well with the calm atmospheric feel that the track has. I think this is a really nice song.


Stitch By Stitch (it took me so many attempts to type that for some reason, I must be tired) is the eighth track of the album. It's pretty good, I don't think it sticks out as one of the best of the album, but it's certainly very good. This track also contains Interlude which is actually very nice.

The ninth track on the album is called The Uprising (not to be confused with the Muse track of the same name), and it's brilliant. It's got a great tempo, and the way all the instruments fit together is fantastic. The way it switches between periods of loud and soft works really well, and the effects added are very well done. Another of my favourites from the album.

The penultimate song is The Plot is very similar to songs from the first album. The guitar line isn't too complicated, but sounds great all the same. The song has some really good lyrics, and the notes the vocals use work really well. This is surely one of the best songs of the album.

The final song from the album is Morning Light. It starts with a great acoustic guitar introduction. In fact the guitar throughout this piece (and all the other songs) is brilliant; Sam Duckworth is a very talented guitarist. It's a nice song to bring the album to a close.

Overall I think it's a great album. The vocals are well done, the guitar is tight, and the effects and electronic additions fit well with the other parts. The lyrics are clever and are delivered well. In terms of how it compares to the other two albums, I'd say that it's better than the second album; Searching For The Hows And Whys, but isn't quite as good as the first album; Chronicles Of A Bohemian Teenager. Still, it's a great piece of work.

I'll be back with a review of the new Skunk Anansie album Wonderlustre when I get hold of it, but I'm not sure when that will be. But I'll continue with other posts where I provide the usual musical nonsense I usually talk about. Thanks for reading, if you've read this whole post I applaud you, but if you've read some of it I applaud you anyway. Feel free to comment as usual, anyone else heard this album? Anyway, that's it for now.

Thanks,

big_friendly_letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment